Medicina, Vol. 59, Pages 998: Aetiopathogenesis of Rotator Cuff Tear in Patients Younger than 50 Years: Medical Conditions Play a Relevant Role

JournalFeeds

Medicina, Vol. 59, Pages 998: Aetiopathogenesis of Rotator Cuff Tear in Patients Younger than 50 Years: Medical Conditions Play a Relevant Role

Medicina doi: 10.3390/medicina59050998

Authors:
Stefano Gumina
Lorenzo Mezzaqui
Rossana Aimino
Marco Rionero
Alessandra Spagnoli
Vincenzo Campagna
Vittorio Candela

Background and Objectives: Studies on rotator cuff tears (RCT) in patients younger than 50 years have focused on the post-operative outcomes. Little is known about cuff tear etiopathogenesis, although it is a common belief that most tears are due to trauma. We have retrospectively verified the prevalence of medical conditions, whose role in tendon degeneration development have been widely demonstrated, in a group of patients younger than 50 years with postero-superior RCT. Materials and Methods: 64 patients [44M-20F; mean age (SD): 46.90 (2.80)] were enrolled. Personal data, BMI, smoking habit, diseases (diabetes, arterial hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, thyroid diseases, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) were registered. The possible triggering cause and the affected side and tear dimensions were recorded, and statistical analysis was then performed. Results: 75% of patients had one or more diseases and/or a smoking habit for more than 10 years. In the remaining 25%, only four patients referred had had a traumatic event, while in the other eight patients, both medical condition and trauma were registered. The presence of two or more diseases did not affect RCT size. Conclusions: In our series, three quarters of patients with RCT had a smoking habit or medical conditions predisposing them to a tendon tear; therefore, the role of trauma in RCT onset in patients younger than 50 years is markedly resized. It is plausible that in the remaining 25%, RCT may be due to trauma or to genetic or acquired degeneration. Level of Evidence: IV

MDPI Publishing. Click here to Read More